Sunday, March 16, 2008

Movie session

Recently, I had watched four movies which are Shakepears’s Wallah and Macbeth, Pygmalion and Tennessee Williams’s A Streetcar Named Desire. All of them are tragedy movies except Pygmalion is a comedy. The first movie that I watch is ‘Wallah’, actually I don’t understand what is the show about because there’s no subtitle. Next, I watched ‘Macbeth’; the story is about how a tragic hero fails and dies in his country. Because of his desire to become a king, he manages to betray and kill a kind and righteous king. However, he is torn between the desire and self-consciousness. I think that the movie is very violence and bloody. On the other hand, ‘Pygmalion’ is the only movie that entertained me because it has a happy ending and it’s romantic. I was amazed and curious about how can a person be trained to acquire a new language in such a short time? Can this happen to me too? In the movie, the professor successes to turn a girl from lower status to become a well-manner lady. So, hopefully it is possible for me to improve my English Language proficiency in another two years. If I were the lady in Pygmalion, I feel that the learning process is tough and abusing. I will be mentally corrupted because I’m not being myself and it’s like a parrot. ‘A Street Car Named Desire’ let me think of the relationship between the husband and wife, the importance of honesty and sincerity. Try to accept the reality and be strong. As a girl, I pity Stella who is a weak character in the movie as she dare not opposed her husband, Stanley.
By watching the movies, it helps me to realize the beauty of literature and I’ll be more appreciating to the contribution of the literature production. At first, I found that watching this kind of movie is quite boring but I realize that not only the utterances but also the action of the characters has underlying meaning. Then I learn to predict what will happen next. I enjoyed watching these movies but I feel heavy-hearted when watching the tragedy movies. It really influences my emotion and mood.

1 comment:

Hailey said...

I agree with you. Literature is beautiful in a way. And sometimes I think this kind of view holds true to some people. People who manage to see the side of literature other than just the literal meaning of its arts which consist of something more.
It’s a beautiful art, you know. For instance, take ‘Anthony & Cleopatra’ play. You as the reader, as you read, you are being whisked away from one historical and magnificence country in an era you never live. You see the splendor of bygones time and civilization. Though Shakespeare may alter some parts from the real historical facts about Anthony & Cleopatra’s time, it does not deter the images that are similar to their time. Some authenticities of facts are still there, I guess.
The best part about poem I like is that; it immortalizes what you said, written and pictured on poems that you wrote, though you are just an amateur. Poems are pictures painted in words, in my opinion.
In all these experiences, watching movies that are originally from plays sort of open up new perspectives on literature.